Friday, June 6, 2008

Oh what a beautiful Morning...

Good Morning! I think I had the best commute in to work that I have ever had or will ever have. I got a seat on the metro. I didn't have to touch anything. I didn't have to bump into people or stand there while quite creepy guys "sneakily" take my picture with their phones. I just got my first cell phone with a camera last week and I was beginning to enjoy it (camera snob that I am) until I began to ride the metro during busy times.
But today was a good day. I think the reason I was able to get a seat was that I was late. I ran up the escalator just in time to watch the train I wanted pull away. I'm not very good at counteracting my own momentum, so I just sort of kept running--not at any great speed mind you. I wasn't, after all running with any purpose in mind by that time. My inertia carried me down to the farthest end of the platform, previously unexplored territory for me. By the time I realized I hadn't yet stopped moving, I was about as far as I could go. So I sat down on a bench and waited. The next train pulled up about 5 minutes later and I could see crowds of people swarm into the cars nearest the escalator, most of them making a mad dash for the doors, choosing to risk having their most personal assets divided rather than miss the train. But who am I to comment really?
I ambled onto the first car of the train and lazily glanced at the half-empty car before grabbing an open double-seat. For the first time all week, I didn't get motion sick and even managed to read on the metro.
After all this relaxation, I decided to hike up the monstrously long escalator out of the Bethesda metro instead of my usual "stand and wait for the top to come to me". This decision was influenced in large part by the fact that I have not yet gotten around to joining a gym in the area. Or really even finding one for that matter... All I have to say about this hike is that it became quite obvious exactly how long it's been since my last visit to a fitness center.
My morning commute is always a source of great entertainment for me. I lead a simple life.
I'm riding the metro for 3 main reasons: 1) I don't have a car (perhaps the most influential reason), 2) the most convenient access to the WEbook office is granted by riding the metro, and 3) I've been trying to go slowly green over the last year.
Being Green should be a way of life that becomes so ingrained that people don't even think about it. Unfortunately, it's not at that point yet. My realization of the importance of being Green came in mostly during the last year. Among many other driving reasons, I found out that my adviser at Vassar is the head of the Sustainability committee there, I took an Oceanography course and learned just how doomed our planet is--which also led to meeting Wally Broker, the guy who essentially discovered global warming was happening--and the influence of my boyfriend who wrote his senior thesis on solar cells and now works for a clean energy company. I also watched "Living with Ed", Ed Begley Jr.'s show on how to green your life. I tell you, if you're going to go Green, you want Ed Begley Jr. telling you how to do it.
I've just learned that WEbook has a great project going right now called "My Hybrid Life". It's a great place to tell your story about going Green. Hope to see you there!

No comments: